For those Riders who got a pendant at the banquet and didn't pay
please send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or a cheque to
Jacob Koomen 2930 Apple Drive Campbell River BC...Read more
A day after the ride I posted some words on Facebook.This was directed at those 'friends' who did not yet seem to appreciate the force that is R2S that I...Read more
Hello - I have had a week to reflect on my first ride and wanted to share my thoughts - so happy to have this method of staying connected with...Read more
My second Ride2Survive is completed and this time I manage to learn the meaning of a new word - community. I have heard many times that there is no ‘I'...Read more
I experienced an "uh huh" moment on one of the first ride by's (a family with two young children and their mother battling cancer). This is why I am doing...Read more
As Soon as Tony started saying "Sag Control to Sag 1" and such on the radio, I couldn't get "Space Oddity" (Or Major Tom as some of you know it)...Read more
In April I was in Salzburg Austria. That’s where they filmed “TheSound of Music”, a film universally loved by ladies and occasionally tolerated by men. I’m more of a “Dumb and Dumber kind of guy. That had music too. A fabulous rendition of “Mockingbird” (popularized by James Taylor) as I recall.
Anyway “TSOM” had a very popular ditty entitled “These are a few of my favourite things” or some such nonsense. So without benefit of Julie Andrew’s voice, or lyrics, or a beat, or rhyming or anything remotely resembling rhythm, here are ….
A few of "My favourite R2S things":
● Chad’s socks.
● Siobhan’s oration about the woes of the Wahoo.
● Nicky’s Irish humour.
● The Holiday Inn bus and its restorative powers between Hope and Aggasiz.
● Kerry’s bunny.
● Ice cold coconut water.
● Ride by’s. Every single one of them.
● The welcome in from the crew on Coldwater Road.
● Hearing what it was like for R2Conquer riders to receive our public adulation last June.
● Al shouting he needs a new ass.
● June shouting anything.
● Emilio shouting "you still here Paully" during an uncharacteristic quite time from me.
● Vicki explaining to pulled over motorists that we started @ 3:30 in Kelowna raising funds for cancer research.
● The change in the demeanor of pulled over motorists when they learn that.
● Our couples. As solid in their commitment to R2S as they are to each other.
● Our ladies. They are all beautiful. What a sordid testosterone fest it would be without them.
● The out of towners. Sure wish we could bond with them before ride day. Superb humans.
● My buddy Greg of Sasquatch Lions arranging for a great rest stop in Deroche as his way of thanking us.
● The porta potties.
● The golden mile.
● The incredible privilege, as a survivor, to be one of the first few riders to cross the finish.
● The ability, as one of those first few riders, to walk a few paces through the bushes and join the crowd in saluting the rest of the riders.
Note - This was the first year of four that it occurred to me to do so. I am not the truest spoke in the wheel.
● Every second of every minute of every hour that I spend with anyone involved in R2S.
● My daughter holding up a toilet paper sign just this side of Deroche hill (You made my ride baby).
Toilet Paper PaulRead more
This was my first year to ride and it will go down in my memory book as the most inspirational adventure of my life.
I have tried a few times...Read more
This was my 5th year on the SAG crew, and I was thinking back to my first year on SAG; Kelsy and I were SAG and another truck was Mechanical. I...Read more